Making sushi roll

04 May 2011 |
My comfort food is Japanese food. :) When I have time on my hands, I'll make sushi roll for lunch/dinner and to bring to uni during the week. The process of making sushi is relatively easy and fuss-free once you get the hang of it, and it's so delicious! I usually use canned tuna/salmon for rolls because they keep longer and are convenient! I do love raw salmon maki though, but they are best eaten fresh and not to be kept for long periods of time, so best suited for sushi dinners and not so much for lunch the next day. XD Eki has written a really good tutorial on how to make spicy tuna rolls, so please check it out too! ^_^


Sushi-making station! I have cooked brown rice (with added vinegar), nori/seaweed, tuna/salmon, sliced avacado and sriracha hot chili sauce. Tools are a sharp knife, wet cloth, chopping board, bamboo to roll the sushi and some water. 

I bought a small tin of pink salmon to try and make sushi, but I still prefer tuna the best! :)


OK, on to the most important part of sushi making - the rice!! You need perfect rice, if the rice is too dry, the sushi will dry up and harden. If it's not sticky enough, the rice will fall out of the sushi roll. Thus, perfection needs to be obtained. XD AND~ The trick is - for every 1 cup of rice you put in, put 2 cups of water! When the rice is cooked, leave it for approx. 10 mins for it to cool down a little, but while it's still warm, add 2 Tbs of vinegar for every 1 cup of rice you cook. I like to leave it covered for another 5 minutes or so to absorb the vinegar~ End result is sticky, perfect soft sushi rice~ I don't usually use sushi rice, any rice will do! Just follow the rule above. ^_^♥

IMPORTANT: To keep the rice from drying out, I like to place a clean damp cloth over the rice cooker to keep the rice moist and sticky while I take time in spreading rice on the nori and making the sushi~ I find that this was quite important in keeping my rice moist and my sushi soft and delicious! :D


Enjoy your sushi! ♥

What kind of food do you make at home? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I go through and read all comments and approve each of them individually so they may take some time to appear. :)